Monday, April 13, 2015

Lesson #1: Double Double

It's so nice to be back across the pond!

We landed in Dublin and had a four hour layover until our flight to Prague. I needed coffee. Lovin' it (or not) McDonald's is always there. I ask the teenager behind the counter for a 'double double'. Double DoubleIndicator #1 that it has been too long since we have travelled. She stares at me blankly. 'Pardon?' Jonathan insists that I sometimes mumble, so I try again, more clearly.  'A double double, please,' I repeat. This exchange happens no less than two more times before my jet-lagged brain finally clues in. I'm not mumbling, she just has no idea what a 'double double' is! I'm not in Kansas anymore. Or, I'm not in Canada anymore, I should correct. 'Double doubles' are a Canadian thing. Only. I'm not even sure if I knew that. When I Google it, turns out even Americans think its some burger from
California!

Urban Dictionary did know though, thankfully:
Double-Double A Canadian term used to describe how you take your coffee - two teaspoons of sugar and two creams. Preferably used in any Tim Hortons location.

Server at your local coffee shop: Can I take your order?
You: Ya, I'll have a medium double-double.
It reminds me of this 18 year old Aussie kid we met when we were traveling in Colombia. He told us that he was in school and when we asked him which one he tells us in earnest "The School of Life." To which I almost choked on my judgmental laughter and barely contained my eyes from rolling out of my head. And yet, here I stand, learning interesting tidbits about my own country - in Ireland. Don't worry - I'm going to start wandering around dramatically preaching to strangers that I'm enrolled in the 'School of Life.' Although I imagine that could lead to some pretty interesting blogs....

2 comments:

Gina said...

I had no idea it was a Canadian term either! I guess you learn something new every day.... in THE SCHOOL OF LIFE :)

Unknown said...

Good to see you "back on the road again" and posting. You may have to educate Europe on the meaning of "double/double" as it relates to coffee and Canadians!
Luv you and safe travels
Mom and Dad M